Working in Higher Education in New England
As part of its mission to tie higher education to the economic well being of New England, NEBHE has partnered with the New England Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (NE HERC) to provide access to recruitment and employment resources to address faculty and staff hiring needs. The mission of the NE HERC, which was founded in 2006, is to advance the efforts of member institutions to recruit and retain outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and to assist dual-career couples. Moreover, together with NEBHE, NE HERC seeks to raise the profile of the higher education industry in New England as an employer of choice for diverse and highly qualified professionals across all disciplines and functions.
With nearly 18,000 registered job-seekers, 3,000 faculty and staff jobs, and 2.5 million unique website visits per year, NE HERC provides the largest higher education job board in New England, as well as a community of 62 member institutions sharing best practices and participating in strategic networking events and an assortment of targeted professional development opportunities every year.
Working at NEBHE
Positions at NEBHE are available! See below.
Program Coordinator for the Regional Student Program and SARA
is a full-time position at NEBHE. The successful candidate will be someone who can communicate well, is well organized and works well independently.
The Program Coordinator will work to support and advance two key NEBHE programs:
- Regional Student Program, Tuition Break, expands access to specialized degree programs at out-of-state public colleges and universities within New England. Eligible residents are charged a discounted tuition rate when they enroll in programs not offered by their home-state public colleges and universities.
- SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) provides a platform for the six New England states to enter into reciprocity for the purpose of authorizing individual colleges and universities to provide postsecondary education courses and programs through the Internet or through other distance modalities to students living in other states.
The coordinator will be responsible for helping to grow and expand both programs to increase the number of participating institutions, partners and students. This includes: supporting the SARA Director and the RSP Senior Director; communicating with stakeholders in education, industry and government; engaging with program participants and partners; producing reports and publications; developing outreach materials; managing web content; organizing meetings and workshops; maintaining databases. The coordinator is an integral part of the NEBHE’s team, reporting to the SARA Director and the RSP Senior Director.
RSP Essential Job Functions
Publications and Reports
- Assists with the design, production and distribution of all print and digital RSP publications, including state-specific brochures, annual undergraduate and graduate catalogs, annual enrollment report, bookmarks and other RSP publications.
- Assists with enrollment and tuition data collection, analysis and reporting, including compiling charts and tables for the annual enrollment report; producing state and legislative district reports on enrollment, tuition savings and revenue for legislators, government leaders and board members; and tuition rates, savings and revenue documentation.
- Maintains RSP contacts database.
Communications and Outreach
- Promotes the RSP and maintains responsive communications with RSP representatives at participating New England public campuses.
Represents the RSP at college fairs and other events; assists with RSP workshops, seminars and webinars for New England school counselors, parents and others.
- Responds to inquiries and publication requests by email, telephone and regular mail.
- Assists with outreach to students, parents, and school counselors, including providing advice about the RSP, academic programs and colleges.
- Assists with program promotion and publicity, including electronic newsletters to school counselors and other constituents, news releases, creating and sharing content across social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, etc), and production of print and digital advertising.
SARA Essential Job Functions
Outreach and Oversight
- Assist the SARA Director in organizing forums to inform states and institutions of SARA opportunities, membership and participation requirements, and implementation.
- Develop promotional materials, information campaigns, and other strategies to grow state membership and institutional participation in SARA.
- Provide technical assistance to states to meet requirements for SARA membership, including any necessary legislative, regulatory, or structural changes that may be needed.
- Track developments in state- and national level policy related to state authorization, governance, program approval, accreditation, licensure, or related areas; analyze the potential impact of said changes and provide intelligence to the regional SARA director, regional compact leaders, and relevant state and institutional authorities and personnel.
- Respond to questions and requests for information from states and institutions.
- Assist the regional SARA director to plan and convene up to three meetings of the Regional Steering Committee annually.
- Represent New England SARA at conferences and meetings throughout the U.S.
Communications and Data Management
- Work with the national SARA staff and consultants and the regional SARA director to design processes for collecting, tracking, and reporting data on: 1) state SARA membership; 2) institutional SARA participation; 3) the status of scheduled reviews of state membership; 4) the status of state members’ reviews of institutional participants; and 5) state tracking of complaints against participating institutions and of complaint resolution.
- Collect, track, and report data in the areas listed above and in other areas that emerge as timely and relevant.
- Work with the national SARA staff in developing websites and other e-communication strategies.
- Communicate regularly with staff members at other regional SARAs and at the national SARA in an effort to insure consistency of messaging, to share best practices, and to explore potential avenues for collaboration.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 year’s experience in project management or administration
- Effective communicator with a variety of constituents
- Familiarity with higher education
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the United States
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Basic knowledge of Adobe InDesign
- Detail-oriented; Ability to prioritize assignments
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter via email to Phyllis Maguire, Office Manager, at pmaguire [at] nebhe [dot] org.
Communications Assistant (Part-time)
will support communications and research for online journal and other web content. Subject matter generally includes a variety of higher education topics such as college access and affordability, leadership, enrollment, campus developments and education trends.
- Strong writing, communication and research skills.
- Current college student, preferably majoring in English, communications, journalism, public relations or marketing.
- Computer skills, especially Microsoft Word, Excel and WordPress, and familiarity with social technologies such at Twitter and Facebook.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and Constant Contact desired.
- Write and edit weekly web newsletter noting recent content posted to http://www.nebhe.org.
- Research and write content for NEBHE web site, including several short pieces on news and events.
- Assist with inviting and editing commentary and analysis by staff and outside contributors.
- Lay out finished articles with graphic elements for web.
- Create and edit video clips.
- Assist with social networking and email communications.
Compensation: Compensation may include a combination of college Work Study funds and academic credit. Number of hours weekly is negotiable, but generally 8 to 21 hours on average.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and writing sample(s) via email to John O. Harney, Executive Editor, at nejhe [at] nebhe [dot] org.
Share and Enjoy
Higher Ed Joblink
View all jobs