View tools and resources from our work on higher education's financial sustainability and new innovations and join the discussion by clicking here!
Click here to view and download an overview of key themes concerning cost in higher education and new models
Articles and Books on Costs and Innovative Models
- Great Expectations, Bleaker Results, (Inside Higher Education, Aug. 20, 2014)
- Closing Time? Latest on Higher Ed Institution Closings and Mergers (New England Journal of Higher Education, Aug. 12, 2014)
- Pressure on the Provosts: 2014 Survey of Chief Academic Officers (Inside Higher Education, Jan. 23, 2014)
- Free College Idea Picks Up Momentum (The Hechinger Report, July 15. 2014)
- The “Pay It Forward” College Financing Concept: A Pathway to the Privatization of Public Higher Education (AASCU Policy Matters, July 2014)
- Laying Down a Higher Education Innovation Challenge (New England Journal of Higher Education, June 24, 2014)
- Confronting Costs, Controlling Destiny (New England Journal of Higher Education, March 21, 2014)
- Labor Intensive or Labor Expensive? Changing Staffing and Compensation Patterns in Higher Education (Delta Costs Project at American Institutes for Research, February 2014)
- Federal Ed Official Briefs NE Higher Ed Audience on Obama College Ratings Plan (New England Journal of Higher Education, Nov. 8, 2013)
- A Partner from Healthcare Speaks to Higher Ed (New England Journal of Higher Education, Oct. 29, 2013)
- To the Summit: NEBHE and Davis Educational Foundation Convene Higher Ed Leaders to Talk Costs, Biz Models (New England Journal of Higher Education, Oct, 22, 2013)
- Exploring Higher Education Business Models (If Such a Thing Exists) (New England Journal of Higher Education, Oct. 8, 2013)
- College Unbound: The Future of Higher Education and What It Means for Student by , (New Harvest, 2013)
- Other New England Journal of Higher Education NEJHE Articles (New England Journal of Higher Education)
Resources for Faculty
American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
Resources for Trustees
Association of Governing Boards (AGB)
Boards That Excel by B. Joseph White
Resources for Presidents and CFOs
Forum for the Future of Higher Education
National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
Cost Structure of Post‐Secondary Education Guide to Making Activity‐Based Costing Meaningful and Practical by Maria Anguiano
Small College Guide to Financial Health: Weathering Turbulent Times
Davis Educational Foundation Report
Click here to view and download the Davis Educational Foundation report An Inquiry into the Rising Cost of Higher Education
Summit on Cost in Higher Education (October 2013)
Click below to view and download various documents from the summit in PDF format.
Click on each speaker's name below to view and download PDF versions of their PowerPoint presentation shown at the summit:
- Cheryl Blanco, Vice President for Special Projects, Southern Regional Education Board
- Gary Gottlieb, President and CEO, Partners HealthCare
- James Kadamus, Vice President, Sightlines
- Paul LeBlanc, President, Southern New Hampshire University
- Mark Nemec, President & CEO, Eduventures
- Michael Townsley, Senior Consultant, Stevens Strategy
- Rebecca Wyke, Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, University of Maine System
Robert Lytle, partner at the Parthenon Group, predicted a shakeout.
Southern New Hampshire University President Paul LeBlanc warned that higher ed institutions need to rethink business models.
Jamienne S. Studley, deputy under secretary at the U.S. Department of Education, spoke at NEBHE's Confronting Costs summit.
Partners HealthCare System President Gary Gottlieb spoke at NEBHE's Confronting Costs summit.
Special thanks to NEBHE Program & Outreach Coordinator Kiley Danchise-Curtis for her video editing.
Leave a Reply